Sixteen leaders from key federal, academic and industry organizations have been appointed by Governor Larry Hogan to the Maryland Life Sciences Advisory Board (LSAB).
The new appointees include a patient advocate, executives from global life sciences companies with U.S. headquarters in Maryland, small biotechnology companies, and leaders from the University of Maryland, University of Maryland Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University, Montgomery College, NIH, FDA and the U.S. Army Medical Research and Material Command.
Daniel J. Abdun-Nabi, president and CEO of Gaithersburg-based Emergent BioSolutions will serve as the chairman of the LSAB.Newly appointed Board members will serve until 2017.
The new appointees are asfollows:
- Daniel J. Abdun-Nabi, JD, LLM, President and CEO – Emergent BioSolutions Inc. (chair)
- R. Michael Gill, Secretary – Maryland Department of Commerce
- Robert Rosenbaum, President and Executive Director - TEDCO
- Christopher P. Austin, M.D., Director, National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences – U.S. National Institutes of Health
- Richard A. Bendis, President and CEO - BioHealth Innovation Inc.
- Jarrod Borkat, Head, External Collaborations, Biotech Hubs and Government Contracting - MedImmune
- Marco A. Chacon, Ph.D., Founder, CEO and President - Paragon Bioservices, Inc.
- Douglas Jon Liu, Senior Vice President, Head of Global Operations – Qiagen Sciences Inc.
- Theodore J. Olsen, President and CEO - PathSensors, Inc.
- Patrick G. O'Shea, Ph.D., Vice President and Chief Research Officer - University of Maryland
- Jay A. Perman, M.D., President - University of Maryland, Baltimore
- Wendy Perrow, MBA, President and CEO - Alba Therapeutics Corporation
- Karen L. Proudford, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Management and Director, Graves Honor Program – Earl G. Graves School of Business & Management Morgan State University and President, William E. Proudford Sickle Cell Fund, Inc.
- Sanjay K. Rai, Ph.D., Chief Academic Officer and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs - Montgomery College
- David W. Smith, Ph.D., Vice President, Global Business Development, Emerging Technologies – Lonza Walkersville, Inc.
- Col. Andrea Stahl, Ph.D., Director, MRMC CBRN Defense Medical Research Coordinating Office and JPC-Radiation Health Effects - U.S. Army Medical Research & Material Command
- Frank F. Weichold, M.D., Ph.D., Director, Critical Path and Regulatory Science Initiatives, Office of the Commissioner – U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Christy Wyskiel, Senior Advisor to the President - Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures