Northrop Grumman honored 24 Maryland high school seniors earlier this month in an awards reception at the Marriott Renaissance Baltimore Harbor Hotel. This is the 14th year that Northrop Grumman provided more than $240,000 through the annual Engineering Scholars Program. The scholarships are awarded exclusively to students from Maryland who are interested in studying engineering, computer science, physics or math at an accredited college or university.
"Northrop Grumman is pleased to sponsor this scholarship competition, which supports the pursuit of an engineering education by some of the state's best-qualified math and science students," said Kathy Warden, corporate vice president and president of the company's Linthicum-based Mission Systems sector. "These talented young men and women can be among the future technology and innovation leaders of our country."
Rigorous application requirements for the scholarship include a score of a 27 on ACTs, 1700 on SATs and at least a 3.5 GPA. The application committee also looked closely at students' work experience, community involvement and extracurricular activities. Each student receives $10,000, paid in four yearly installments, to be used for tuition, books, room and board and lab fees.
Northop Grumman is a corporation that is committed to the enhancement and engagement of STEM students globally. Along with the Engineering Scholars Program, they fund various STEM programs for all levels of education, with a particular focus on middle school aged children. They are also a major corporate sponsor of the Maryland Teacher of the Year competition, and their foundation contributed over $17 million to a varied selection of STEM related groups.
The scholarship winners are:
- Allegany County, Hayden Lindsey, Mountain Ridge High School
- Anne Arundel County, Sandra Sandeep, North County High School
- Baltimore City, Benjamin Grove, Baltimore Polytechnic Institute
- Baltimore County, Kayla Moore, Western School of Technology
- Calvert County, John Hoerauf, Saint Mary's Ryken High School
- Caroline County, Helen Wiley, North Caroline High School
- Carroll County, Michael Williams, Liberty High School
- Cecil County, Abraham Lee, North East High School
- Charles County, Abigail Payne, North Point High School
- Dorchester County, Patrick Geleta, Cambridge-South Dorchester High School
- Frederick County, Matthew Beveridge, Oakdale High School
- Garrett County, Alexandra Miller, Northern Garrett High School
- Harford County, Edward Salvatierra, Fallston High School
- Howard County, Nathan Palmer, Hammond High School
- Kent County, Zachary Kirby, Kent County High School
- Montgomery County, Suriya Kandaswamy, Poolesville High School
- Prince George's County, Andrew Latchman, Charles Herbert Flowers High School
- Queen Anne's County, Ryan Domogauer, Kent Island High School
- Somerset County, Chandler Heller, Washington High School
- St. Mary's County, Mary Wise, Saint Mary's Ryken High School
- Talbot County, Christopher Hogan II, Easton High School
- Washington County, Emily Gross, North Hagerstown High School
- Wicomico County, Arthur Carlton-Jones, James M. Bennett High School